I feed, I change, I wipe, I kiss booboos: I am mommy.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Survival of the Fittest

My obstetrician assured me that having big babies was not genetic. I had nothing to fear despite being 10 lbs 2 oz when I was born. When I was 41 weeks pregnant with Paddy I had my final ultrasound. I was told he probably weighed in the 7 pound range. One c-section later and I was holding my 9 lb 7.9 oz baby. I was 42 weeks pregnant. He must have grown a lot in that week!

My smallest baby boy.
I did not have as many ultrasounds with my second child. He measured big at 20 weeks and they projected that he too would be a large baby. Despite the doctor saying that I was in the normal range, I felt like I measured big as well.
 
39 weeks pregnant with Gabo.
At 39 weeks "little" Gabriel entered the world weighing in at 10 lbs 4 oz. Not genetic indeed. I can only imagine if he was born at 42 weeks. My husband would have had to rent a U-Haul to get me to the hospital.

Once Gabo started to smile and laugh, Paddy started to play with him. His idea of being gentle with the baby and mine differ slightly. He uses Gabo's bouncy seat as a launch for his superheros and I've caught him pushing the chair to the floor and letting go, giving his brother quite a ride. He "plays" with the baby on the mat and rolls him onto his chest so that he can be a train and Gabo the passenger.

Gabo riding the Paddy train.
If Gabo had been smaller at birth and had not grown into an 18-pound five-month-old he might not fair as well as a little brother. I do worry if I have a third baby how big we will both be as the new baby will have to survive two older brothers. If I had an even bigger baby it would confirm my theory. Each baby needs to be bigger because in our house it is survival of the fittest.



No comments:

Post a Comment