I feed, I change, I wipe, I kiss booboos: I am mommy.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Sleeping Like a Baby?

I often wonder who coined the term "sleeping like a baby."  I wonder if said person ever had a baby or was near a baby who was sleeping.  Did this person know the reality of how babies sleep and have their phrase misconstrued?  All questions I will probably never find answers too.  I know that "sleeping like a baby" in my home means waking often, feeding, changing and consoling an infant throughout the wee hours of the morning.  So, what effect has this had on my brain?

Recently I read a PBS story about a sleep study that showed moms are "dangerously exhausted" for months after the birth of a child.  After reading that article I started reading a book on sleep. Although I may not agree with all of his views I found one chapter in Harvey Karp, M.D.'s book "The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep" helpful.  He spoke about the effects of chronic sleep deprivation.  What I think of as mommy mush brain he breaks down into more scientific terms.  He talks about how our moods can be sad or angry as a result of not getting enough sleep.  He also says that we can become more uncoordinated and clumsy.  The effect I identify with most is forgetfulness and confusion.  Finally he says that long term sleep deprivation can cause us to be unhealthy, increasing our risk for weight gain and catching unwanted diseases.  Although I hope to get some rest before it gets that bad I am definitely feeling the effects of "sleeping like a baby."

In thinking about my own mommy mush brain I decided to perform my own study on a much smaller scale.  I decided to offer my toddler a snack without reading the label.  I knew how the snack looked and that he would like it because it was crunchy.  I knew he had eaten this snack before and that I have eaten it for many years.  I racked my brain for the name.  Was it popcorn balls, popcorn cakes?  Did it have anything to do with popcorn?  I pulled the package out, no it didn't look like popcorn.  But what could it be?  I finally gave in and looked at the package.  Rice cakes. Of course.  This is my brain on infant sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment