I feed, I change, I wipe, I kiss booboos: I am mommy.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Brothers

I didn't expect Paddy to love his brother in the beautiful way that he does.  I didn't expect Gabo to respond to his brother's voice as soon as he was born and to follow him around the room with his eyes.

For months before I gave birth I fretted.  How would Paddy survive my being away from him and how would it impact his relationship with our new family member?

Despite my concerns he survived my absence (our first night apart ever).  He had double grandma power keeping him going for 3 days and although we were both ready for me to return home he was no worse for the wear.

Initially he was a little unsure of his brother.  He demanded 100 percent of my husband's attention and made comments such as "I had you first."  I feared that he would hate his brother and remain jealous forever.  Fast forward 4 months.

The boys play together.

Paddy is so proud to be a big brother.  He takes his responsibility seriously.

One evening we went for ice cream.  I offered for him to go to the counter and pick out a flavor but he chose to stay in the car with his father and brother since he was apparently on "Gabriel watch."

One day I took a shower and asked him to watch the baby for me (my husband was in the next room checking on them regularly).  When I finished I returned to the living room to find him sitting on the couch where he had remained to watch his brother.  He had run to the kitchen for an apple but otherwise had not abandoned his post.

Paddy will often ask to hold his brother. He snuggles up with him, kisses him and tells him how cute he is.  He entertains the baby when he starts to fuss and makes up dances and songs to make him laugh.  Gabo's first wholehearted laugh was in response to his brother's antics.

Gabo lights up when his brother is in the room.  He tries to scoot off my lap and watches him wherever he goes.  I truly believe that Gabo knew Paddy's voice as well as he knew mine when he was born.  They have formed a bond that will be life lasting.

I grew up with a sister and understand the closeness that you can have with a sibling.  I never understood how amazing it can be as a parent to witness that bond or the joy that their brotherhood would bring to my life.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed. The best thing in my life BY FAR. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paddy is so warm and caring that being a protective and loving big brother just comes so naturally. I loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete