I feed, I change, I wipe, I kiss booboos: I am mommy.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

"Pregobesity"

While I was pregnant with my second child I read an article where the term "pregobesity" was used.  Apparently there is an epidemic of women gaining weight in order to grow and nurture a human life.
OK, I will set the sarcasm aside for now.

I am four months postpartum.  Prior to my first child I was in relatively good shape.  I am a curvy woman but was a recreational cyclist who often rode 15-25 miles at a time.  This kept me healthy and strong.  I had my first child and returned to work, but not to cycling.  When I got pregnant again I was 15 pounds heavier than before my first pregnancy.  I gained about 35 pounds during each pregnancy and lost about 20 during each birth (one child was 9 lbs 7.9 oz, one was 10 lbs 4 oz).  I nursed both children which helped me to achieve that golden "pre-pregnancy weight."  So, why am I not happy?

My body is different now.  It is softer than it was before and I have a tricycle tire around my waist.  I have to decide daily between spending time with my children, cleaning my home and exercising. While I walk as much as possible, other forms of exercise lose out.

How do I make sense of the media and the focus on what my body should look like after carrying two children?  I have learned that "pregobesity," not losing weight between pregnancies (my boiled down interpretation) can hurt your health. Yet, I have read that it takes nine months to put the weight on, so I should be patient, giving myself nine months to lose it. But then, I see celebrities like Jessica Simpson who become disgustingly skinny soon after having two kids (when I win the lottery maybe I can afford personal trainers, cleaning ladies, and nannies).  Honestly, I'm not sure how to make sense of these conflicting messages.

As I nurse my baby and eat my toddler's snacks to quell my ferocious hunger, I know that I need to buy bigger clothes and find a way to accept my changing body.

No comments:

Post a Comment