I feed, I change, I wipe, I kiss booboos: I am mommy.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

First Words

"I think his first word is going to be gentle."

We were in the playroom of the local library with one other mother, her toddler, and her four month old son. I agreed that "gentle" would probably be Gabo's first word, too. As we spoke, Paddy and the other toddler were "hugging" their brothers.

I want to teach Paddy that his brother is not as durable as his transformer robots or superhero figurines. At times he treats them the same. I know he doesn't want to hurt his brother. He gets excited and wants to play or cuddle. He wants to pick up his 18-pound brother by pulling him up by the head. Even his over exuberant hugs cause me to wince. One day I decided to count how many times I asked him to be gentle. By 7 a.m. the number was so high that I gave up.

I don't have a problem with teaching my toddler right from wrong. It is ok that he has to learn that babies are smaller than him and that his actions can hurt. What bothers me, though, is how our relationship has changed.

Some days I feel that all I do is tell him "no" or "be careful." I threaten to send him to his room or to take away his toys if he isn't more careful with his brother. My husband tries to reassure me. He says our relationship is more than me nagging him, but it doesn't feel that way. 

To make up for this, I overcompensate. I let him eat marshmallows for breakfast and jump off his swing set. He can tell me he is the boss and yell loudly in the house. I probably buy him too many toys and let him eat too many sweets.

I don't want the only word he hears from me to be no. 



My husband and I were once given a piece of advice about our relationship. We were told to make more deposits than withdrawals. I want to heed this advice with my son.  So, I praise him anytime I can. When I have days where I feel like I am constantly telling him no, stop, be gentle, be careful, don't pull on the baby's head, don't push his head into the floor, don't "nibble" his ear, don't roll him over, don't squeeze his neck, don't pinch his neck, don't grab his neck. don't be so rough, I need to tell him how special he is, how smart he is, how athletic he is and how handsome he is. I need to remind him that he is a wonderful big brother.

I agree with him when he says Gabo's first word will be Paddy, not gentle. And I hope he's right.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa I thoroughly enjoyed this. I laughed out loud reading this. Paddy is learning incredible valuable life lessons from you and if gentle is Gabo's first word that would be so cool

    ReplyDelete